Sunday, March 22, 2009
Drug addiction pt.2 - Plans for overcoming addictive behaviour
The following list of action plans is taken from the book "Preach My Gospel", published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. "Preach My Gospel" is a manual designed to help full-time missionaries of the church, as well as all members of the church, help others by reaching out and sharing the gospel.
In chapter 10, pp 189, we read a list of ways to help people overcome addictive behaviours. These ideas can help those who are suffering from drug addiction, such as I have mentioned in a previous post, or they can help anyone overcome any sort of addictive behaviour. Whether you are religious or not, I know these action plans will help you or people you know overcome addictive behaviour:
(People) may ask what they can do ot overcome an addiction... The following suggestions may be helpful:
* Have them outline the times, places, and people that contribute to the behaviour. Then discuss the list with a spouse, bishop, ward missionary or trusted friend. Talk about what they need to do to change or a avoid the items on the list.
* Have them write down what the behavioiur is causing them to miss now and, if not corrected, what it will cause them to miss in the future.
* Have them write down different things they can do to avoid or discourage inapporpriate behaviour This may include talking to one's spouse, calling the bishop or a friend for support, exercising, and any other activity that helps them avoid temptation
(Someone once said to me that the only way to break a bad habit is to replace it with a good one. This statement rings truth in the third bullet point, in that keeping your mind occupied doing something else can help you change addictive behaviour).
* Encourage them to reglarly pray, study the scriptures, listen to uplifting music, and read wholesome books....
* ...Encourage them to attend an apporopriate support group or obtain professional help....
*... Encourage them to never give up!